Monday, July 29, 2013

Why I Hate Moving!


Last time I swore it would be the last time I ever moved. I promise that every time as I unpacked the last of the boxes wondering how many hours I've wasted. Then things in life come up. Break-ups, new jobs, falling in love, babies- you know life! All together I would say in the past five 10 years I moved around 20 times. I am an expert on moving only because I hate it so much I learned very quickly how to make things a little less painful. 

The last 5 times I have used a moving company to make the process easier.  Let me tell you, movers are magical people! I have no idea how one dedicates themselves professionally to such an arduous task, but they definitely earn every penny we pay for them. I'm telling you why I hate moving to let you know why you should hire a moving company to avoid tears, disasters and other atrocities. Or just not move at all possible! 

1. I own too much stuff. Even after getting rid of stuff continuously through Craigslist, donations and trashing, I still own a lot of crap. Unfortunately, I need MOST of this stuff. I even like most of my thing until I move. Then I realize how much STUFF there really is as I pack it all away into boxes wish I lived a less materialistic lifestyle. 

2. Stress. Stress is probably the number one killer in the world! At least I think I read that somewhere. Anyways, there is no way to avoid stress in a move unless you are some sort of zen monk. It stresses out all parties involved, even the household pets. 

3. Cardboard boxes. I stopped using cardboard boxes and switched over to green moving boxes in the last three moves not just because I'm a tree-huger either. It is because of the paper-cuts from the cardboard boxes. I even seem to get even when I wear gloves. There is nothing worse than a paper-cut! Or a cardboard box deciding to give out in the middle of the move. As bad as that is, paper-cuts are worse! 

4. New Bathrooms. Unless it is a completely new house, I am completely grossed out when moving into a used house due to the bathrooms. I immediately scrub down the bathrooms with bleach as soon as possible. Sometimes twice if it is particularly gross. I'll never forget the time I moved into an apartment where the previous owner dumped their cats litter into the bathtub. I literally scrubbed that bathtub five times, and still felt like it was unsanitary when I used the shower. I recommend hiring move in cleaners if at all possible to help with the cleaning if at all possible, these cleaners are also magical in my book.  

5. Children. We all know being a parent is stressful, but kids are especially monstrous during moves. They are either complaining or making a mess. I sometimes wish during a move there was a storage facility that took children in until the process was over. In our house we call this type of facility grandma's house.

No comments: