Tuesday, January 31, 2012

'Why can't it be spring' cleaning: clean out the garage clutter.



A garage... or as I like to call it the junk room.  Some of you may have junk drawers where you keep misc. items, others such as myself may store random stuff in the garage.  I have lots of stuff and usually no where to put it.  Ideally this is the space meant to shelter your family car or maybe even two. I am one of the lucky ones with a two car garage!  

My two car garage... with one car in it.  Between our recycling, bicycles, tools and misc. crap including an circa 1960's heart defibrillator I found in the garage storage of my last house... there is simply NO ROOM for anything else.  

At least that was until I checked out how I could condense the mess and make room for two vehicles.  I did a little bit of "can it please be spring now" cleaning this weekend and now my car fits in the garage too!  I'm so excited.  Although I did find an exoskeleton of a HUGE snake that scared me to the point of  nearly needing the ancient defibrillator, somehow I succeeded in tidying up the junk room.  I am very proud of former junk room now two car garages new appearance.  Now I will no longer have to shield guests from wanting to see the junk room when they visit.

Some keys points that I have found useful for tidying up the junk may be useful to you.  A trash bag/box/whatever.  Get rid of stuff that you don't need.  I ended up getting rid of my partners stack of old Playboy and National Geo. magazine to his dismay.  Who needs dirty magazines when you have the whole wide world of the Internet?   I kept the heart defibrillator for now, but put it up in my office to start that art project I've been meaning to do with it.  Next stop for the ancient defibrillator is the Louvre!

Another key thing we did was bought more shelves.  You will be amazed how awesome those do-dads work.  While I am a firm believer in shelves indoor, outdoor shelves never seemed necessary.  We already did have two but we bought two more.  It freed up oodles of space!

Having space freed up in your garage for you vehicles will save you a lot of trouble.  The elements may never have a profound effect on your car, but the first time hail puts dents in your hood you're going to wish you'd stored it in the garage.

If I can do it- so can you!  Good luck with cleaning up your junk rooms!

1 comment:

Pierre Jean Rouzier said...

a way to unclutter your room or garage is to store some things in public storage! http://www.storageo.com is one self storage compnay where you can take a box for only $5! free pickup by fedex! so, make your garage look new and wide!